The HCG diet has proven to be an effective weight loss program. For this reason, some women are willing to lose the weight they gain during pregnancy. Is the HCG diet a good idea while breastfeeding? Some believe that breastfeeding is fine while taking HCG shots for weight loss. It is because HCG is present in the body during pregnancy. Some dieters believe that HCG injections are given on the diet while breastfeeding has no threat.
Is the HCG injection for weight loss is safe while breastfeeding?
Even though HCG is produced in the body, it is considered foreign. When you consider the HCG diet while breastfeeding, ensure that it is safe for the infant. It is not safe for the body not because of the hormone but because you will be eating fewer calories. You will only need to consume 500 calories per day when you start taking the HCG shots. The VLCD is a bit hard for you to stick to when you have a dependent infant.
Can you do the HCG diet while breastfeeding?
The definite answer for this is up to your doctor. But, in most cases, a breastfeeding mother cannot do the HCG diet. If you just gave birth, consider doing the HCG diet after several months. Focus on the growth of your infant by having healthy foods. You can try the HCG diet when your baby turns six months old. It is when the baby can eat solid foods aside from your breastmilk. Through this, you can start your weight loss.
When is the right time to start the HCG diet after pregnancy?
When your baby is still dependent on your milk, consider the HCG diet after a year. Ensure that your baby is not dependent on the nutrients in your body and your breastmilk. The VLCD will be hard for you and may lead you to get hungrier every day. You will need enough calories so that your body can produce milk. During the breastfeeding period, ensure to eat healthy foods. It will help your body as well as your baby’s health. Healthy foods will also prepare your body when you are ready for the HCG diet.
Reasons to consider why HCG diet is not safe when you are breastfeeding
- The hormones that are produced during breastfeeding interfere with the HCG in burning your body’s fats.
- If you cut your calorie intake to follow the HCG diet protocol, it affects the production of breastmilk.
- When you are nursing, you need to increase your calorie intake. It will not work well when you do the VLCD phase of the HCG diet.
- The calorie-requirement for a lactating mother is not 500 calories per day. So when you follow the VLCD, you will start to lose energy.
- The cleansing effect of the HCG diet may affect the value of your breastmilk. Cleansing releases toxins which give a risk of releasing it through breast milk.
In conclusion, you need to wait until the breastfeeding period stops before starting the HCG diet plan. It will help avoid complications to your weight loss and your baby’s health.