Protein makes up a big part of the HCG diet. It is a macronutrient that is needed for weight loss and growth. Protein is essential in building muscle mass while losing pounds. It is used by your body to repair tissues that are damaged by free radicals. Most of the high-value protein is found in animal meat. The protein sources during the vegetarian loading on the HCG diet are limited.
There are vegetables and other sources of protein that can help you lose weight. The vegetable choices for protein loading are just limited but it is suitable for your HCG diet. You have to be extra careful in replacing meat choices with vegetables during the VLCD. You have to make sure that it does not lead to the starvation mode or lack of nutrients. You also have to see to it that it will not cause weight loss struggles.
Protein foods for vegetarian loading on VLCD of the HCG diet
- Approved protein shakes– There are limited options for protein shakes you can have during VLCD. Choose the protein shakes that do not contain sugar and other active ingredients that can interfere with the HCG. There are protein shakes that contain 8 to 10 grams of protein that will keep you full longer.
- Cottage Cheese- Skim cottage cheese permitted as a protein serving on your HCG diet. You can have 80 to 100 grams of cottage cheese as replacements of lean meat. Take accurate measurements to avoid any weight loss stalls. Track each amount using food scales to avoid consuming too much.
- Eggs and tofu in moderation- Eggs and tofu are not allowed to have every day. You can only have these choices not more than thrice per week. For eggs, you can have 1 whole egg and 3 egg whites. It must be hard-boiled. Eggs are very filling and it is also rich in protein. However, you have to avoid the egg yolk because it may lead to a weight-loss stall. You can also have tofu but in the smallest amount as possible. It is because tofu can easily cause weight loss stalls. The modern approach to Phase 2 of the HCG diet also allows a small amount of tofu.
- Asparagus – Asparagus is one of the known vegetables that contain various nutrients including protein. It is low in calories and rich in various vitamins such as vitamins A and C. Asparagus also has fiber and folate.
- Brussels sprouts- This is rich in protein and high in antioxidants. Brussels sprouts maintain healthy blood sugar during the HCG diet. It can also keep you full longer and curbs hunger.
Are you allowed to eat soy products for a vegetarian meal on VLCD?
No. Soy products can cause your weight loss to slow down. It’s because of the estrogen levels that it produces in your body. Estrogen affects your body’s way of burning fats. Focus on loading healthy proteins to avoid weight loss issues. As much as possible you have to incorporate protein foods from lean meats. Take note that protein is one of the most important nutrients needed for your HCG diet.