Water retention is a build-up of excess fluid in the body. This occurs in your circulatory system. Water retention can cause swelling of your hands, legs, ankles, and feet. This can cause you to feel heavier than normal. It also makes you less active or alive.
Water retention and HCG diet
Water retention can cause bloating and weight gain. It can slow down the work of HCG in burning your body fats. This is also a common cause of weight loss plateau during the HCG diet. Do not panic when water retention occurs during the VLCD. You can still find ways to bounce back to your weight loss.
How long does water retention last on the HCG diet?
Water retention can last longer if you will not do anything. Follow the protocol in dealing with water retention by sticking to healthy loading. Avoid the foods that are not approved for your HCG diet. Read food labels before purchasing to avoid high levels of sodium.
What are the causes of water retention?
- Too much salt- Weight gain caused by water retention is so frustrating. Salt or sodium binds the water in your body. Too much intake can retain water. Avoid processed foods that are high in salt such as preserved meat products.
- Menstruation- This is common during the VLCD. Menstruation can cause hormonal changes. It can lead to water retention or weight gain. This will just be gone when your period is over. Make sure to stop your HCG shot when you have a period but continue the VLCD. Get back to your HCG shots after the menstruation.
- Nutritional deficiency- Consuming too many unhealthy foods can cause weight gain. Thus, leads to water retention. Avoid the wrong foods during the HCG diet such as processed foods and drinks.
How to reduce water retention caused by salt?
A high intake of salt can be avoided by reading food labels. You can replace salt and other food ingredients with natural herbs and spices. Imbalance hydration can also cause water retention. Drink an adequate amount of water during phase 2. Water will help flush out extra water weights and food chemicals.
Safe ways to reduce water retention during the P2 of the HCG diet
- Add light activities
Walking, yoga, and swimming are examples of light activities. These are the approved activities for your VLCD. Light activities will boost your metabolism. This allows your body to shift waters to your muscle. Thus, flush out water weights.
- Deal with stress right away
Long-term stress can increase cortisol. Stress will directly influence the fluid in your body. It will eventually lead you to natural weight gain.
- Load more on HCG diet approved vegetables
Green and leafy veggies are rich in potassium. It increases urination and drops excess water from your body. You can have cucumber, celery, lemon, and ginger.
- Avoid refined carbs and added sugar
This includes bread, pasta, pizza, rice, pastries, etc. These cause your kidney to reabsorb sodium instead of flushing it out. You are not allowed to eat carbs during the second phase of the HCG diet.